Thursday, 27 December 2012

Work and Cars

So, did I say last time that it had been two weeks since my last post? Well, this time it's been more than three. Oops. And knowing me, it probably would have ended up being more, except last night Derek and I went to Winnipeg to have a Boxing Day dinner with our aunt and uncle, Heather and Miles (and their two kids, Grayson and Olivia, and of course, Aunt Wendy). While we were there, Heather expressed how much she missed reading my blog, saying that she had loved it when I posted every day, and Aunt Wendy expressed similar sentiments. With their charge, I concluded that I had better get back into blogging, because goodness knows I enjoy it, and apparently I have fans! (So say all my relatives....)

Well, I have plenty to write about (a new bed, Christmas presents, table makeover, etc.) but today, I'm actually going to announce to anyone who hasn't heard it yet, that I have a new job! After six months of being unemployed, I'm working again. I work at Superstore, here in Steinbach, and let me say, the job is fantastic. I'm in the bulk food department, and I work around twenty hours a week (all mornings, and one eight hour shift that goes into the afternoon). I get to work by myself (I have a manager, but he spends most of his time in the dairy department). The job is fairly relaxing, though there is a lot of heavy lifting... but that's gotta be good for my non-existant muscles, right?

This isn't my first time working for the Real Canadian Superstore. In fact, many, many years ago I was in their cold deli section, back at the Georgetown branch. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) there seems to be no photographic evidence of me in the ugly yellow shirt and visor that was the uniform back in the day, but I did manage to find this picture of my fifteen year old self.

The current uniform is much nicer than what I remember of the past. Best of all, though, is that I get paid to do this work, and believe me, Derek and I need that right now. Just over a month ago, I was driving home from Winnipeg, and I noticed that the car was no longer heating up. When I slowed down to pull off the highway, the car started to make really weird noises, which finally ended with the engine shutting off and I had to roll off to the side of the road, and then wait twenty minutes before Derek could get out to get me. What we thought was just the car overheating turned out to be a blown gasket (whatever that is), meaning that the engine and probably the radiator would need to be replaced.

RIP Maverick:

Okay, well, we actually haven't decided that he's dead for good. We really did like him as a car, and we're still figuring out if we can get the necessary work done for less than it would cost to buy a new car of the same quality as him. But still. What is with Derek and me? We have the worst car luck... I swear (read about our first car's death, here). Anyone else got a car story to make me feel like we're not the only ones who suffer constant car death?

1 comment:

  1. "and I had to roll off to the side of the road"

    When I was skimming this post, I missed one little word, so it looked like "roll off the side of the road" and I thought "NOOOOOO! Not AGAIN!" Sorry ...