Thursday 1 November 2012

Theories on Clothing

So, today I'm going to be going in a slightly different vein than I normally do. Perhaps because today was the first day without the October Dress Project (oh, and let me tell you, it was so glorious to look at my closet and think to myself, hmmm... what do I want to wear? As opposed to, hmm... how can I make a new outfit with this. darn. dress.), and perhaps it was because Lana and I did a bunch of window shopping - and a bit of real shopping - today. For awhile now, I've been wanting to make my wardrobe more versatile - and at the same time, make it more mature. It's definitely a challenge, because often we feel that our wardrobes simply need new pieces, without being selective about it just because they're new. I've found that I've been looking for clothing in that way for years, making it so that I have a closet full of low quality items that I don't really love - and a feeling that I have "nothing to wear". A little while ago, I stumbled across an excellent clothing blog called Putting Me Together. It's written by Audrey, a woman who is "in the midst of reworking my closet and growing my style. To what? I don't know yet, but I hope to discover it through this blog". She has a number of really good theories on clothing, and believes strongly that it's important to have a "remixable" wardrobe (see the link to her series of posts on that subject here). 

Lana and I both have struggled with feeling that we don't love the clothing we own, and with the feeling that we're missing serious holes that would make our closets feel (and be!) more versatile. And so, with further ado, I'd like to introduce you to my list. This is, of course, a work in progress, and some of the items I've actually managed to procure. The items are in no particular order, but rather just in the order I thought of them (I have a running list in my phone!). Here goes.

Dress shirt:
- fits well 
- long (hip length)
- simple but interesting pattern (polkadots? stripes?)





















Leather boots:
- small heel
- very few "additives" 
- good quality/look real
- good length for jeans, skirts, and dresses


















Mustard yellow cardigan:
- v-neck line
- longer length
- looks good open and closed



Blazer:
- grey or navy 
- ?
White scarf:
- fringe
- not infinity
- substantial
- good quality



Chambray shirt:
- ?

Coloured pencil skirt:
- able to be formal or casual
- knee length
- maroon, or navy?
- higher waist

I've managed to cross off two of the items now: my white scarf, as I shared before. And just today, I bought a cute blazer from Mexx. I couldn't find the exact one online, but the one in the picture is pretty similar. For the other items, I've included some pictures, because everyone knows that a blog post isn't nearly as interesting when it's lacking pictures! So those are some of the items that I'd love to incorporate to make my wardrobe a bit more versatile. They're all things that I feel can be worn in a number of different ways and with a number of different outfits - instead of being items that can only be worn in one way. They're also items that I wish I had last month (during ODP!). Because I was definitely lacking ideas by the end. But at least I've managed to figure out some of the things that would have made it easier. Off to see how things go as I (very, very, very) slowly remake my closet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment